In preparation for an event that we run on a regular basis, called Fundraising Workshop, wanted to provide an update on some of the most active early stage VCs (Venture Capital) who are investing in NY based startups.
A few items before providing you the information.
- The data was pulled via CB Insights
- The investors do not need to be based in NY but have to be investing in NY based companies
- The date range was Jan 1 2017 to August 13 2018
- It only includes venture capital firms and excludes accelerators, angels, corporates, etc.
- CB Insights doesn’t provide data on who is leading the rounds, so the assumption with these firms listed, is that they participated in the round and not necessarily lead, a critical distinction when fundraising. If you are fundraising, you need to do more homework to figure out is actually leading rounds.
The data is below.
Most active VCs who participate in sub $2M rounds, see below. Many of the seed and pre-seed rounds are sub $2M in size, so if you are looking for firms who are active at this size, this is a good target. Now, the data around pre-seed and seed is challenging since many of these rounds are not announced , which makes it is difficult for CB Insights to capture. So this list is not comprehensive but I think it provides a lot of signal on the right firms to reach out to.
Most active Seed VCs, see below. In this query and unlike above, I didn’t put parameters on the size of the seed round.
Most active Series A VCs, see below. Again, no parameters on the size of the round. As I mentioned in beginning of the post, I am unable to query who is “leading” these particular round. So some of these firms could be leading and other could be participating in them.