We (SVB) are seeking an amazing intern for the Summer of 2017.
The past interns that I’ve hired have gone to do some interesting things in the startup/venture community:
- Kevin Carter, who subsequently joined SV Angel as an Associate and is now a Partner
- Chaz Flexman, who subsequently joined SVB full-time, then worked for A16Z and now is VP of Strategic Relationship at PCH International
- Thomas Knowles, who subsequently joined the SVB venture arm and is now a Partner at Gratitude Railroad (a VC fund in Utah)
- Dimitris Kouvaros, who subsequently and recently became a Director at Newark Venture Partners (a new VC fund / Accelerator)
- Lorel Sim, who was our most recent Intern this past Summer, she is currently a Sophomore at Stanford and will no doubt be doing interesting things in her career
Here are the characteristics that the candidate must possess:
- PASSION for the startup community
- Articulate (both in writing and presenting)
- Takes initiative
- Hard worker
- Have an opinion (let me know which sector(s) you are excited about)
If this sounds like you and can clearly demonstrate the above characteristics, please fill this out: google doc
A few key points to highlight:
- This is a paid position (~$15 / hour)
- Ideally, the candidate is currently a Freshman, Sophomore or Junior
- Start date would be around June, flexible depending on your class schedule
- Could be either full-time or part-time
- Position is based in NYC
- Ideally, the candidate lives in NYC, in case we would like to extend the internship beyond the summer
- You get to work directly with me 🙂
- All the work you will be doing is squarely focused on data/metrics regarding the startup/vc community. A lot of ad hoc projects around venture funding/activity, sector analysis, portfolio reviews, assisting with blog posts, working with CRM, etc.
- I will review applicants in Jan/Feb/March and make a decision in early April.
In short, we are the leading global commercial bank for entrepreneurs and investors. A more detailed overview is provided below.